Sunday, March 8, 2009

A television-free weekend

Can you imagine? Three full days of no television. No CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, News, cooking shows, or anything. This is the second weekend that Scott and I have followed this practice.

The only media we have is music (usually real jazz) playing from the radio or CD player, (well, and the computer - but no moving pictures!).

We play cribbage tournaments that last for hours, sleep late, eat our meals at the table (or out). We drink, cook, talk and laugh. Scott plays his jazz guitar, I try to remember how to play piano.

But here's the catch - we also don't get any work done. No laundry, a few dishes, the usual weekend chores. No runs to Target, only grocery shopping that serves more as a culinary adventure than an errand.

It seems we can operate in two modes: Stress-free and stress-full. Isn't it interesting that the stress-full weekend involves television? What does that say about the role of media in our lives and culture. What was the movie where people would explode from watching ads? I swear it was BRazil, but I dont' think that's right.

Television is the set of manacles of modern culture... we use it, advertisers abuse us.... we are hooked, and we need an intervention.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. DVR, no commercials. Maybe the TV acts as a medication in a sense where it allows you to "turn the brain off" and forgot about the stress. A mind numbing tool of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go without TV for several days as long as I was able to catch up on the shows that I missed. I never really watch the news and am somewhat proud of the fact. Yesterday, I watched TV for just one hour (an old ep of Fantasy Island).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that both you and Rocket are able to "stall"the inevitable.... I am about to the point of giving it up all together... which I can never really do, with 2 teenage boys and husband whose default mode is on the couch with the remote close by. I might have to try some social experiment with them. And yes, Rocket, I think that it is a medication process..same as drink for me.... maybe I'll go "on the wagon" with TV like you Rocket...

    ReplyDelete