Monday, March 2, 2009

A Sonnet: The Monte Carlo


A roughly hewn attempt at a Sonnet, honoring one of the best bars in the Twin Cities area. One that has seen me through thick and thin… I think it deserves the tribute.

The Monte Carlo
Shall I compare you to a comfy chair?
You are much more thrilling and exotic.
Many hours pass, with little to bear,
Yet, when I leave, I feel quite Quixotic.

Your aged copper bar, your wall of good drink,
Leaves me thinking of a bright friendly face.
When I find my life is just on the brink,
Your barstool surrounds me, forms an embrace.

But even better, when good times come ‘round,
Your bright flashing sign will welcome me too.
The crack of the ice is a lovely sound
I say to Mark, “Might as well, pour me two”

So while I am alive and feeling anew
I’ll visit you often and bring Scott too!

1 comment:

  1. I always think of the Bennnigans "Monte Cristo" deep fried sandwich that really isn't a sandwich, more of a suicide attempt, when i hear Monte Carlo.

    Never been there.

    ReplyDelete