Thursday, March 12, 2009

One of my least favorite words: Pantyhose….

Ack, it gives me the shivers just typing it! I don’t know why, but it might have something to do with how I feel about wearing them…. When I do refer to them, I call them nylons, thank you very much!

I am attending a charitable function this evening (part of my day job). So, I have donned my suit (hosiery and all), paid more attention to my hair than usual, and brought my sparse makeup kit with me to work so that I may morph into a socially acceptable attendee of the event. Well, I could probably go without the makeup, but I’ll take one for the team on that item!

Just as I’ve asked myself the question about neckties, I ask myself on every occasion that I am required to wear them… what could the origin of stockings be? Fundamentally, I am an evolutionist, and so therefore, I believe that everything that has existed more than 10 or 20 years must have started with a purpose. Otherwise, an item (physical or otherwise) is simply a mutation, or in the case of clothes, a fad.

What functional purpose did leggings serve when they were first created? Warmth?

Does that purpose become immaterial at some point? Advancements in Central heating?

I’ve noted that men also wore tights or leggings, but not so much anymore? When were trousers officially invented? And what is the real story behind why women didn’t start wearing trousers until recent history?

Why have women maintained nylons as a vestigial garment? They seem to be like an appendix…. There, with no real purpose other than to be bothersome at some point. Maybe a reader of the male persuasion can help convince me otherwise, feel free!

So today, on a sub zero March day, I am having the hosiery version of appendicitis…. These obsolete vestments have got to go! (and they probably will as soon as I get into my car after the event this evening… so, if you happen to be in the parking garage at the Depot in Minneapolis, and you see a blonde in a dirty red Saab wiggling around in the front seat…it’s just nature winning the battle of form over function!

3 comments:

  1. Panties, one of my favorite words ;o)

    I always thought it was for looks, it makes one's legs look tan, smooth and inviting.

    I am not one of them but I know that many men have pantyhose fetishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Cramer is going to be on Jon Stewart tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting: Looks smooth and inviting -You have to shave your legs anyway, cuz I couldn't imagine how gross it would be for a guy to think your legs are all silky, then peel those badboys off and find a virtual turf farm....ewwww! Not only that, nylons and long leg hair don't work together for me from a comfort perspective.... OK, now I've crossed the line of Too much information!
    And really, panties is one of your favorite words? Funny, the word boxers or briefs doesn't do a thing for me!

    Back to reality: Cramer is on Daily Show? Are you kidding me! I'll have to DVR it in case I fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete