Friday, July 17, 2009

Slap-a-Dap Mini Cooper Blue- no backs

Remember playing Slug Bug with your brothers and sisters while cruising around town in the back seat of your parents station wagon, maybe even in the "way back"? I do, and I think I still have bruises on my upper arms from my over-zealous older brothers, as I had to sit on "the Hump" in the old mercury wagon....

My family (Husband and twin boys who are now 15) have played slug bug over the years, especially since the new bugs were introduced by VW. Then came the ipod phase, where everyone but the driver was "tuned in, turned on and dropped out", well, at least out of conversation.... thank you Timothy Leary.

But, in the last 3 months or so, the Ipods have stayed at home or turned off (their choice), and as we have been tooling around city, we've brought up the old slug bug game. And, we added a new one, because bugs just aren't as popular: Slap-A-Dap Mini Cooper. Rules are the same, but instead of punching your neighbor in the arm, you slap them twice, once with your palm, the other on the way back with the back of your hand. Of course, you should slap them where it is most convenient, as you should be stealthy about your slapping...but there's no rule about where the slap lands... which makes it a little more fun. And of course, slapping doesn't allow for as much bruising!

Another variation of slug or slap is for the texting generation - text your sighting: sbrednb (slug bug red no backs). And while I would never suggest texting while driving (as it is against the law in MN), you can do it after you've pulled over, or even when you get to your destination!

Now, I don't want to see this on myspace, or a quiz on facebook, or even a tweety twitter... but I am a nostalgic kind of gal, and I'm happy to see my kids play the same game I did with my brothers... brings back all sorts of good memories... and I hope they will carry on the tradition.

3 comments:

  1. I'd rather create a reward rather than a punishment, I don't know what it would be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the reference to the "way back" in the station wagons of the 70's and 80's. Such a pain it sometimes was to look out at the cars behind us. I am now a follower of your blog. Feel free to stop by mine anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocket - a reward... that's interesting... in my experience, a reward for siblings is acknowledgement (you know, bad attention is better than none). I know that getting a slug bug punch from one of my older brothers was the best... do you see your girls reward each other?

    Thomas - Our "way back" in one of our station wagons was a pair of fold up seats facing the side rather than the driver behind, you could also look and talk to the other person riding back there with you - that was the best for long rides up to the cabin - and you could put your feet up on the other bench! It was more like a train...

    Thanks for following! I admit I lurk around on your site... but will be more visible!

    ReplyDelete