Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Optimism of youth... or, you've got to be kidding me...

As I've matured (read: aged), I've witnessed my ability to approach life with complete optimism fade away. I can be optimistic about certain situations or events, but I'm not able to muster up an "optimistic approach" on a large scale.

I remember my teenage years when I thought I had it all figured out, that I could blaze a trail through life without impedement - always getting what I wanted and needed.... and then as the years pass, I find that my viewpoint has eroded to skepticism and cynicism. Is that experience and "wisdom" at work? Or is it just disappointment as reality has sunk in over the years?

Some days, I wish that I could get that optimism back - just for a moment.... and other days, I am thankful for my ability to have a realistic viewpoint...

3 comments:

  1. I settle for bottled optimism in the form of jumbos of Karkov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that experience and "wisdom" at work?
    -- Both
    Or is it just disappointment as reality has sunk in over the years?
    -- Yes

    I just tend to be pessimistic as then I am rarely dissappointed. ;o)

    I have little faith in the average human being and expect to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are too funny.... Biz - You are lucky if your Karkov gives you a break from reality - for some of us, it allows the walls to break down, and while dulled, reality tends to smack me more in the face...

    Rocket - Yes, you are one of the great skeptics in my circel of friends... thank goodness for your staunch hold of reality.

    Of course there is a back story to my post - something about my 17 year old step-daughter announcing she's getting married - when she's a Sr in High school next year... I think I need to start a Facebook Group called: People who have experienced getting married too young, and are ready to help those about to make the same mistake.... I know a few people I could ask to join!

    ReplyDelete