Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My not quite organic garden - weeds, already!


Finally, got my veggie garden planted and was able to take a picture! I designed this garden layout based on my inherent laziness! It's split into sections that are easy to weed (theoretically) , easy to plant, easy to dig, each section at a time. And so far, it has worked much better than your average big plot where everything grows together. The bricks make it easy to navigate, roll the wheelbarrow through, etc. I love how it looks after it's first planted, because it just looks so tidy! Trust me, I'll post a pic in August and you'll see the Tomato and raspberry jungle... it's like a ganja trail - you almost need a machete!!

The best part of this is that I can really use the space efficiently! Here's what's in the garden (Counter clockwise from the outer sections):

  • Upper Right: Raspberry canes - Heritage variety that produce two crops per year
  • Upper Left: One Zuchinni plant in far corner, bush beans planted along front, pole beans planted along fence Also a cucumber at the far left point, as well as a crazy, over producing yellow pear tomato.
  • Lower Left: Herbs (parsely, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme, taragon, cilantro, oregano, Mother f'n chives), I also plant the broccoli in this section - but I haven't found any yet this year to plant! I might put the celery that Scott bought in that section...
  • Lower right: Very shady, so this year I might put in the leeks and pumpkins that Scott bought and see if they tough it out.
  • Middle Section: upper right: Cherry and big boy tomatoes
  • Middle Section: Upper left: Beefsteak and purple cherokee tomatoes and hopefully tomatillos
  • Middle section lower left: Lettuce, spinach, carrots and radishes (Aka baby bunny food)
  • Middle section lower right: Red and Yellow peppers, and jalapeno plant.

So, in this simple 20X20 garden, I count 30 different edibles. In addition, I have two clematis along the fence with some art, and I generally plant Zinnias for some color. Not bad for a garden plot in the middle of the city! If you look closely at the picture, you'll see on the rigth side my only non-organic appliction - Preen... Since I made this garden from a chunk of lawn in my back yard, i continually fight against weeds... so I have broken down and used Preen for several years, which has been very effecitve at preventing complete domination by crabgrass, lambsquarter, clover violets, and all the stuff I happily mow down in my yard!

So, I can't wait to start to harvest, if I'm lucky, the lettuce and spinach will pop soon and if I can beat the bunny brigade, we'll be having a salad soon! Next will be Raspberries, then beans, then tomatoes, then peppers, then brocooli (if I can find it!)... and even now, I can harvest little bits of the herb plants... along with needing to weed and mulch... I am a happy gardener!

5 comments:

  1. I have already harvested the first round of my cilantro and mint....mojitos yummm.

    Looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biz - have you found the vodka plant yet? If so, I'd prefer to grow my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to grow some potatoes but it never quite panned out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me, I've thought of it... the rap about homemade hooch causing blindness, explosions, or, and visits from ATF were just enough to make me stop thinking about it - well, know, actually it's becasue it seemed like way to much work!

    ReplyDelete