Monday, June 15, 2009

Gardening soothes the soul... one weed at a time

For those individuals who have never gardened, it's hard to explain the cathartic effect (psychological) you get from it. While I don't have everything in the ground that I want to yet, I did get a big chunk of the work done this weekend - namely, the vegetable garden. Last weekend, I bought all of the plants, seeds, etc. that I needed to get the job done... but we ran out of good weather and time. So this weekend, I was determined to get it in, as if I didn't , the veggie garden would not be a source of veggies - plant too late in MN, and you don't get much produce before that first frost.

With everything going on at work, and more than enough craziness at home, I also know that as I'm pulling weeds (damn there were a lot), amending the soil with compost, and placing those baby plants in the earth, that I get a lot of thinking done. Actually, it's not so much thinking as processing. You know, the kind you do when you are driving, taking a shower, walking the dog, etc. Not actively working out a problem.... just letting the water of the issue flow over the river rock of your soul.

  • Pulling weeds helps me with anger
  • Shoveling compost into the garden plot helps me reconcile conflict, as it is the real manifestation of giving back and the give and take of nature.
  • And of course, planting helpless seedlings and giving them what they need to survive reminds me of the opportunity I have to make the world a better place, rather than a worse one.

So, on Sunday night, with a glass of wine in my hand, I surveyed my work, took some ibuprofen, and marveled at how at peace I felt with the world. I thought of how we were providing fresh food for my family, saving money, helping the environment, and was proud of the potential that I had created for doing good in the world.

Then I threw a rock at a rabbit that was looking at my baby basil plants.... probably the same bunny that I snatched from the jaws of Luna, the wonder dog just a month ago.... isn't the cycle of life amusing?

1 comment:

  1. Our garden is coming along well also. True organic food that we can be sure of.

    Was the ibuprofen a defense for the coming pain in your melon from the wine? ;o)

    ReplyDelete