Tuesday, November 3, 2009

4,133 words in, and I'm still not sure if I like my main character

It was like the first day of school on November 1st, I had all my paper together and my pencils sharpened (well, the battery on my laptop charged, at least), and I woke up at 5:00 AM, with my story line ideas flowing out of my brain, like the water level rising against a dam after a spring rain. Quick, start the writing so you don't loose the gems...

It's like I couldn't keep the ideas inside my head anymore. I was typing as fast as I could, taking notes on the side so that I wouldn't forget that brilliant sidebar (she should always use a purple white board marker - that should be her trademark, her personality in a can), and the words just flew by. Soon, I was up to 500 words, and I had barely even begun the main character development. 700 words gone and I was just figuring out what her last name would be. 900 - Ha, that thing about the kid pewking on his way to gym class- that was a priceless line!

I needed to take a break and acknowledge my family's existence. And so I clicked on save, clicked on word count and was shocked that I had written over 1,000 words on the first day of nanowrimo. And it was 6:30 AM. Huh. So, it looks like quantity won't be an issue for me. Later in the morning, I tore down the dam again and lo and behold, I finished the day with 2008 words.

Which leaves the other measure - quality. The story line is definitely holding together so far (Especially since nothing but character introduction has happened), I don't' have any critical flaws in the plot - yet.

I'm introducing my character - Gene Gerard - as she passes through her day as a 9th grade English teacher and interacts with students, colleagues and faculty, so the reader could get to meet a lot of people in the first chapter of the book - probably too many.

My problem? As my character (Gene) moves through her day, the interactions she has are painting her as an unhappy, rigid, unfulfilled woman. Which is fine, but I don't' want the story line to take the obvious turn - where she finds true love and it makes her "whole" BLECHK.

In my efforts to not write Chick Lit... I will be looking for ways of filling the story with surprising plot turns so that the reader keeps guessing, rather than it following a formula.

As of this morning, I'm over 4,000 words. Trying to figure out a plot twist. I might post an excerpt tomorrow - feedback will always be appreciated and of course, I reserve the right to completely ignore it!

Heck, I'm not sure what I'm worried about - the work, called "Gypsy Gene" may never even have ink put to paper. It may just spend eternity on a flash drive in a drawer.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe she wins the lottery and you can write your dream 'spenind spree' story but that wouldn't make a good story unles she totally f'ed up and lost all of her money or was killed in a horrible kitchen accident or soemthing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are close to the answer - I think she's going to have to get close to happiness, and then, through nothing other than small mindedness, f-something up... I like the kitchen accident angle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flash drive could be a future generations rosetta stone.

    Does this english teacher have relations with students? Have a pony tail? Wear glasses and high heals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosetta stone for the weirdness of me! So far, no relations, but that's not to say she couldn't.

    Last night (meaning I wrote it then, she went out with a friend and got schnockered on champagne, and then skated through school the next day.... no, that's not autobiographical at all.... that's never happened to me!

    Got a little "hot for teacher" on the brain biz? Ah, David Lee Roth... for just a moment there I thought he was hot.... it was fleeting!

    ReplyDelete