Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The view from the peak of Mount Everest - 25,016 ft. (er... I mean words)

Looks mighty fine from here - sitting at my computer having successfully knocked out a full 25,016 words on my Nanowrimo project. I figure that since most mountain climbers don't have a helicopter pick them up at the top, and it's equally dangerous climbing down a mountain as it is climbing up - At this point, I am sitting on the top of novel writing world.

Of course, I am not actually surveying the words that I have written - there's the First Nano Rule (FNR) that states: Do not go back, do not read what you have written. Do not erase words. Just write words.

So, as far as I know, I've written 25,016 words that are sucky crap. There is every likelihood that it's true. And I have decided to follow the FNR because it's convenient for me. And since my only measure of success has been to finish the goal of 50,000 words in 30 days, it doesn't matter just how sucky craplike the story is.

And I'm a few thousand words behind on my daily count, but I think I should be able to make those up by the end of the week.

I am enjoying the process, though. I've added some level of interest to my character set, finally introduced the Male Main character in person to my Female Main character (it took forever)... so that should be a little interesting. My biggest fear right now is that it turns into a modern day Lust in the Dust or Corset Ripper novel. I've been putting in a few odd little references that obliquely relate to each other, should provide for an interesting ending..... and hopefully forestall Horace from sweeping Gene into his arms and riding off into the sunset on his motorcycle. I think she has to screw up and break his heart.... No happily ever after for my novel..... no no no....

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're continuing to write. Editing it is gonna be a blast. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching this rarefied plateau. Few people have the discipline to make it as far as you have. And since you've gone this far...see that peak up there? Can you imagine what the view's like from the summit of THAT thing?

    Keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it going. Remember, this is just your first pass, there are several more pass thorugh's of edting and editing and editing and editing and editing. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I have not been able to write inthe last couple ofdays so I'm plannng on locking myself in a room later today and tomorrow.... your words certainly do help! I feel like I've got Nano Fano's!

    ReplyDelete