Monday, November 23, 2009

9,699 words in 6 hours... bloody stumps for fingers

Mundane: Def: common; ordinary; banal; unimaginative. Or so says dictionary dot com... It's also a word that could easily and accurately describe the drivel that I write when I'm under the gun.

The great news is that I sequestered myself from reality for approximately 6 hours yesterday and hammered out close to 10,000 words on the novel. At my most productive hour, I wrote just over 2,000 words in an hour.

The bad news is that I found that I have the ability to write pure, unadulterated, boring mundane crap (hence the 2,000 words in an hour). Crappy dialogue, crappy descriptions, everything felt boring and so very not-special. However, if you recall the only measure of success is getting to that 50,000 word count by midnight on 11/30/09, so I am sticking with that as my motivator.

I was so motviated by my growing (albeit crap-ful) word count, I tracked it every half hour.




Intresting.... the peak productivity occurred after taking a break to share nachos and a part of the Vikings game with my children. I'm sure it was the chiki that helped me through, as you can see the massive amounts of caffeine I was consuming earlier in the morning had a cycling effect.
As of 3:23 central time on Sunday, November 22nd, I am back on track for my daily word count! Of course, I haven't written a word yet today, so as of midnight, I may be behind! Thanks for all of your encouraging words... they really do help!

4 comments:

  1. You're on the home stretch now. Hope you have a doozy of a climax in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Biz and Thomas!

    Thomas - climax would imply that something is actually happening. 38K+ now and the only thing that's happened is the two main charaters went on a motorcyle road trip from Winona to Hastings... Maybe the climax is that in a Thelma and Louise tribute, my female main character drives off the Wabasha bridge, or maybe it should collapse?

    ReplyDelete