Monday, February 23, 2009

Why do people try to save my soul? Part II

In Part One of this post, I talked about how I was raised in a non-believing family. This part is the real question: Why, when I try to explain to people why I (don’t) believe the way I do, they insist on trying to talk me out of it under the auspices of saving my soul?

The first time it happened, my former father in law (F-I-L) (husband #2) learned that I did not attend church, and according to him, I was “Prohibiting his son from attending”. Hah! His son (my boyfriend at the time), certainly didn’t need my permission to attend church… he made his own decisions. In trying to explain this to the F-I-L, he told me that he was only making it his business, because he wanted to see me in heaven. I think I said “thanks, but I don’t believe in heaven, so I’m happy the way I am”. He couldn’t understand it. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. I understand personal conviction, everyone’s entitled to their own faith and belief, but in my opinion, it stops with the individual. The more I explained, the more desperate he became. He branched off into worrying about his son, his future grandchildren, and again, his concern for my soul. I literally told him that my soul felt fine, thank you for the concern. Needless to say, he took that as being flip… and eventually convinced himself that I was the anti-christ. I’m not being sarcastic – he told me to my face. All I could do was tell him that I was sorry that he felt that way, but I was not going to change for him. The good news is that while that marriage did end, my (now ex) husband and I created children, and have no issues raising them as “critical thinkers” rather than “faith bound believers”.

While there have been other encounters with the faithful about the status of my soul, I learned to steer clear of the conversations with them that would lead to the revelation that I was “going to hell”. There was an interaction that sticks out the most, one with a co-worker. I had developed good working relationship with a project manager, and had found some common ground on a personal note – he was very quick witted, sarcastic like me. At some point, we went to lunch, and started chatting about various things – non-project related. He asked me if I was interested in joining a bible study group with other co-workers. I said “no thank you”. He asked a few more probing questions, and I finally told him my point of view. He leaned back and asked me “how it was possible that you turned out to be an apparently moral person, without the benefit of the lessons typically learned from the bible.” I countered that my parents taught me to respect others, and that I knew right from wrong by their example – that the bible is not the only way of skinning the moral education cat. He was shocked by my response that I really didn’t believe in anything – asked me all the usual questions… “How did we get here, what is the meaning of life, don’t you want to go to heaven, aren’t you afraid of hell, didn’t I know that is was damning my lovely children as well? “

After listening to my responses, he told me that he would pray for me and that I would see the light eventually. He said that he was worried about my soul – and that he cared enough about me to ask his congregation to consider me in their prayers. I said – thanks, but no thanks, my soul feels fine. Luckily, we left the conversation at Davanni’s and did not mention it again – our working relationship remained intact.

So the real question is: why do people feel the need, in fact the right, to intrude on my belief system under the auspices of “saving my soul?”. Over the years, in order to fit into society better, I have become desensitized to reactions when people learn of my beliefs. I keep quiet about celebrating Solstice rather than Christmas, when conversation turns to what church I belong to, I change the topic quickly. I understand that spreading the gospel is part of the christian dogma, but I believe that has more to do with the church coffers than anything else. Why is it that I chose to stay out of people’s business, when they feel just and virtuous getting into mine?

5 comments:

  1. I tell them I belong to the house of LETLAR :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about LETLAR! I just found it again.... as I recall, isn't it the Brian 2.5 version of Dianetics? I'll have to review the entire doctrine!

    I must admit that the pyramid scheme is more righteous than most.... but it still involves prostelization...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post.

    There are several reasons why they want to save your soul. The first one being that any counter philosophy adds to the fact that maybe their philosophy is wrong. It also adds to the sense of validity (in their mind) of their philosophy with every addtl member added to their way of thinking. There is strength in numbers which is why Christians “Mission”. From birth they have been brain washed to think that God is the truth and some do truly feel that they are doing you a favor by “saving you”.

    I love how Theists always claim morality comes from religion. It does play a part but to think that for 98,000 years (assuming we agree that homo sapiens have been around for approx. 100,000 yrs) humans walked around not knowing right from wrong is ridiculous. So God waited with folded arms for 98,000 years watching human suffering and then 2000 years ago decided it was time to intervene. Insanity.

    Then point out that the Bible belt has much higher crime rates, illiteracy rates, sex crime rates, teen pregnancy rates, suicide etc… than the north. Look at the most Atheistic countries (Scandinavia, France, etc…) and there teen birth rates, STD’s, crime rates etc.. are much lower than the most religious countries.

    Sorry for the rant but it comes down to ignorance and brain washing children and have them fear eternal hellfire if they don’t exist and then providing the ultimate carrot of eternal peace and happiness. Not much of a choice.

    It all starts with memes like our kids. They will slowly spread the idea’s of free thinkers and a moral world without the need of supernatural sadistic egomaniac gods. Personal religion is fine but not in groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rant away Rocket - that's what this space is for! You make excellent arguments that I don't have at my fingertips - thank you for filling in some space I've created! Seriuosly, people ask me how I'm going to raise my children to be moral creatures without the benefit of organized religion.... how dare they? Do you ever get that question?

    I wish that this blog was mature eneough to get some good debate going, but I know I'm not getting enough traffic to foster a good debate... but maybe in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I have been asked that question, quite ridiculous. All anyone needs to follow is that you treat others as you would like to be treated, unless your a sado-masachist ;o)

    The question to aks back at them is this, "So if you found out tomorrow that God didn't exist, woudl you then go out and commit crimes against others?" Of course they wouldn't.

    The morals that religions preach about are the exact same morals/behaviors that any community requires if they are to ever survive as a people. Basic morality is inate ass has been shown in Chimps and the Great Apes.

    Yeah, it takes time. The best way to grow a basse is to get out there and join discussions on other blogs (a good way to start is with links on Brian's and my blog to join our "community") and add links to other people's blogs on your blog that you find interesting etc...

    ReplyDelete