Friday, February 13, 2009

Rhinovirus V. Spring Fever…

About a month ago, I contracted a virus, the “Crud” that’s been going around the Twin Cities this season. While I won’t describe the symptoms, I will say that I was a Nyquil Junkie for about three weeks. This was not your typical winter cold, as I called in sick to work for 4 days… tried to go into the office twice, but was sent home by my co-workers who looked at me like I was Typhoid Mary! Honestly, I haven’t missed this much work since the Great Homecomings Mono epidemic of 1997.

Being at home alone for that many days in a row gave me time to consider life without the need for paid work – a seductive and dangerous thing for me. What would it be like to be a member of this society I find so foreign? Having worked since the day I was 16, I have a hard time conceptualizing it… How do you pass the time? Immediately, my thoughts focused on the fact that in mid January, Minnesota has little to offer the under-occupied person for entertainment. The winter wonderland associated with the holidays has given way to banks of grey, salty, ice and mush. Better off going to work than struggling with a bleak reality. I covet the light this time of year, but even when I had the opportunity to bask in it while recuperating, I chose instead to close the shades and wrapped myself in a cocoon… Would I do this if I were feeling well, but just not required to fill my days with tasks for others? My guess is that I would.

Which brings me to my current infliction: Spring Fever. The snow has melted away in the past few days, frozen green grass is peeking out from my lawn. A few days ago, it was getting warm enough to skip the jacket… warm being 45 degrees! Every year when this happens, I get the itch to be outside, touring my gardens to suss out any sign of life. It’s a physiological thing for me – it’s palpable and real.

Does this time of year afflict others the same way? Do people in Miami get spring fever? Is it something that predates cognition and has more to do with preparation for breeding and raising progeny?


I wonder…… What do you think?
Do you get Spring fever? How do you know?

2 comments:

  1. You are such a Pagan and that's why I love you so ;o)

    Great post. It's why I still buy the occasional Powerball ticket, to dream of being from the chains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for removing the word verification.

    ReplyDelete