Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Please, someone talk me out of this horribly bad idea...

I'm serious, tell me to run away from this idea as fast as I can... because I can't honestly understand why I shouldn't partake in this crazy project: NaNoWriMo.... www.nanowrimo.org

The goal: Write a novel of at least 50,000 words between November 1st and Midnight, November 30th. That's it.... easy peasy, right?

Here's why I think I can and should do it:
  1. If you've read more than one of my blog entries, you know that I tend to be, um, um, wordy and not necessarily good at self editing... so the quantity goal of average 1,666 word/day doesn't scare me all that much
  2. I've been kicking around a few story ideas for years that I think I'd like to experiment with
  3. There's no quality measure - sweet!
  4. I dont' seem to have much work to do at work
  5. I don't seem to have much stimulation or, purpose in my professional life (see this post)
  6. There's absolutely no risk if I fail
  7. If I succeed, I get a nifty web badge to stick on my little blog... and a handy dandy certificate!

Please, all you experienced writers out there... tell me of the heart ache and bloody finger tips, tell me how my brain will feel like it's complete mush after the first three hours. Describe the complete and utter panic I'll feel on that first day and the last few hours of the deadline. Tell me that I will neglect my family, this blog and all the other aspects of my life.

Tell me why this is a bad idea... or join with me in this crazy idea.... fellow closet writers and dreamers, you know who you are!

7 comments:

  1. It's a daunting task, one that I have never undertaken but I think you can do it as long as you do some pre-work from now until 11/1 to create an outline of the book. Brian could speak better to this topic.

    I say go for it IF you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rocket- I'm putting my thoughts together right now...

    Gee Biz, this sounds like something that you should do.... in between the homework, the work work, and oh, that's right, you have a social life! Never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know three people who have attempted this. The most determined lasted ten days.
    By all means challenge yourself if you want to, but know that professional writers would absolutely refuse an assignment like this. Inspiration comes when it comes. I second Rocket's advice: if you have an idea and an outline, then go for it--but DON'T feel bad if you don't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ken! I really appreicate your input... I think as long as I have my expectations set correctly, I should be OK. I'm not expecting a great piece of work out of this, but more like a marthon practice drill to see how I might be able to construct a story in a finite time period. I have always worked best under a tight timeline (unfortunately), all the way back to the 4th grade... again, thanks for you support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's turn our brains to mush together. I'm doing it for the first time this November (3 days away! Holy!) and I'm skerred.

    Buddy me on Nanowrimo.org and we can commiserate - my username is Finny. Shocker, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see you post some excerpts if you decide to go through with this.

    ReplyDelete