Tuesday, October 20, 2009

On having a purpose...

In all of my 27 working years, it's never been more clear to me as to how my self-worth is determined by my employment. I, like other people, have built this false belief that the more responsibility you have, the more fulfilling the job will be. And in most cases, this has been true. For years, I have been very fortunate and have found myself moving "up" in my current organization with a focus on both making a difference in the community



Honestly, I have had truly menial jobs that were much more fulfilling than the one I have right now. Flipping burgers at Mac's, being a courier (read: mailgirl) at a local bank, even being a playground supervisor over "the best tan of my life" summer.. these all had some element of directly benefiting humanity that I just don't have right now...which is odd, since I'm a corporate do-gooder -wouldn't that be a job that most likely fills the "make the world a better place" need in a career?

So, the obvious conclusion I draw is "power" and "influence" are meaningless without purpose. No duh... I say to my self...no duh.

2 comments:

  1. Our time here is short, happiness is the #1 important thing, the meaning of life (other than spreading your seed of course).

    You do good just by being you, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rocket.... I appreciate the boost! I strive to do better every day...some days I win the battle, some days I don't!

    ReplyDelete