Thursday, December 3, 2009

There's star in the tree

Seriously, about a year ago, my husband and I were being lazy and hanging out in bed one winter saturday morning. We were talking, just staring out the window and he noticed that a conflagration of branches in the maple tree outside of our window formed a perfect star... like the one you drew as a kid. You can only see it if you are lying on the bed at the perfect angle. 1 foot either way, and you couldn't catch it.

We watched it through the window the rest of the winter, and when spring came, and the tree leafed out, we said goodbye to the star. Then when fall finally came, we got into position and looked for the star. We didn't know if the tree had outgrown it, or if it was lost in the cities tree trimming activity.

It took a few minutes, but we finally found it - the star shape completely intact and unchanged. I honestly feel like I would have shed a tear if it had been demolished.

It reminded me of when I was a kid and I'd take a bath in the tub in the bathroom next to my mom and dad's room. There was just a bit of paint peeling from the wall at the very top. It looked like a face. When my mom passed away and we sold the house, the bathroom was painted and the face was gone. I was sad then too....

Why is it that unique things created by nature or circumstance are more precious than man made things?

3 comments:

  1. At least that paint peeling wasn't in the form of the face of Jesus, he has a way of doing that you know, to help us remember he eixsts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if it was Jesus appearing to me, I would have called him Stan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. rocketstar1@gmail.com works. My email address.

    ReplyDelete