Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A light in the middle of the tunnel

Had breakfast with a friend from work this morning.... we try to get together every quarter. While I can't speak to why my buddy likes these meetings (He's a guy, and well, we just don't talk about feelings), I know I look forward to them because it reminds me of several things that this crazy work situation has made me forget:

1) Their is life out there outside of work... and sharing that with work friends is a good thing
2) Yes, I am smart and competent
3) You can maintain a sense of humor during less than ideal times
4) Laughing at yourself is good.... laughing at fools is more fun
5) Gossip is amusing, but friendship is not about getting scoop. It's remembering why you became friends in the first place
6) Children, grandchildren and relationships are way more important than any paid gig... ever.
7) While misery loves company, realistic optimism loves it more
8) Coffee or tea is just as good of a conversation stimulant as a tankard of beer. Added benefit: no hangover!
9) There are good people in the world, after all. Even if you have to seek them out!
10) Most importantly: A side order of bacon at OPH in Edina is big enough for two people to share.

Thanks for the visit, Dan.... and thanks for reminding me about what really matters.

2 comments:

  1. How many months does he have left now, until retirement, or it is the other Dan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same Dan.... and sadly, he doesn't even talk about the countdown spreadsheet anymore... so the number must still be pretty high!

    ReplyDelete