Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Lost Art of Skipping

As I was walking out of my local coffee shop this morning, I heard an odd pattern of footfall from behind me. I thought to myself "that sounds like someone skipping! How odd is that?". I turned and saw a woman with a 6-7 year old girl, who, of course was the one who was skipping.

Certainly not an unusual occurrence, but it was remarkable. Why is that only children seem to skip? If there are several ways to effectively transport our bodies, (walking ,jogging, running, skipping), why do adults do the others but not skip? And why do only girls skip after a certain age?

Looking at the girl, I realised that I had every reason to be skipping this morning. It's a bright, warm spring day to day. The flowers in my garden are starting to bloom. I had a lovely cup of coffee in my hand. I have a productive, fun filled day at work ahead of me. I love my husband and children, and they love me. We all have our health, and though not wealth, we are lucky to be employed and making ends meet.

So, why was I not skipping? I haven't skipped since my kids were small... I think I will try to skip this weekend.... Do you ever skip?

3 comments:

  1. Why is that only children seem to skip?
    ---- Because they haven’t become jaded to the harsh cold realities of life I think the fuel for skipping is TRUE joy ;o)

    And why do only girls skip after a certain age?
    -- because it looks “gay” and most boys are homophobic

    So, why was I not skipping? I haven't skipped since my kids were small... I think I will try to skip this weekend.... Do you ever skip?
    -- it’s funny, the girls were skipping a few weeks ago and I tried it and I could not do it and quickly stopped trying as I probably looked like a retard (not passing judgement on the disabled but the visual fits, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see you! Not looking "disabled", but instead lookign like you were trying really hard to have fun! A kind of a grimace and borw set with detrmination... I agree with your responses, it just seems a bit of a shmae to lose it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, I think I'll skip home next time I'm not riding my bike. *smile*

    ReplyDelete